Monday, December 7, 2009

Hole in horse's tongue


Photo of Star. Tyree's Gold Star AQHA. Almost exactly a year ago (I remember because it was soooooooooo cold, as it is now), one of my mares, Star, had a hole in her tongue.I blogged about it,
http://doublehphorseshelter.blogspot.com/search/label/Star
including photos of the cats Newman and Ralphie helping me with the meds. Star recovered completely and we will never know how she got that hole in her tongue. Tonight, I received an email from Lindsey in Georgia. Her horse has a hole in her tongue. Hers sounds bigger, probably more serious. They are waiting on biopsy. here is our communication so far.

Dear Darci,

I read your article about Star the horse who had the hole in her tounge. My horse is a 25 year old mare, she has been drooling nonstop, she eats so slow, and she is very off balance. I called the vet and he came out to check her. He opened her mouth and there in the back was a hole that went all the way through her tounge. He said she may have tounge cancer, and he is going to do a biopsy, and will let me know. My question for you is what exactly happened to Star, did she get diagnoist with tounge cancer? Is she still alive? If she did have tounge cancer, what did you do to treat her? I am very appreciative to any information you could give me. Any advice since you have gone through this. I just recently lost one of my other horses and I dont want to put down Charity, if that is the case, so anything at all you could tell me. I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible. Thank you for listening Darci.
-Lindsey

hi Lindsey,

My Star had a strange hole in her tongue that was very hard to find. It was underneath. The Vet could feel swelling and so looked and looked and looked and finally found it.
We will never know what it was. poke from something??? even a big sticker or stick or something might cause an abscess etc.
or sometimes they can even bite their tongue and cause things like this.
We were lucky. The vet flushed it several times and said if things don't improve in a few days we would need to xray her tongue to see if there was something in there.
Star began to eat again. and made a full recovery.
so if there was something lodged in there, it must have come out in the flush.
her hole was not all the way through. More like a big poke from the bottom up.
where are you? who is your vet? can they exray the tongue?
also, are her teeth ok?
I'm just trying to think of everything the vet told me and asked me and looked for when this happened here.
also, my Star could eat some soft hay while this was going on. I had some really soft orchard grass hay that she could eat kind of.
but she absolutely could not eat course stemmy stuff while this was going on.
do you care if I put this on my blog? people will be interested in this.
thanks, Darci.

Thank you for your prompt response. I dont mind at all if you put this on your blog. I am in the Atlanta GA area, and my vets name is Dr. John Elliott of Horner & Nash. Her teeth are in good shape, and he has done xrays on her. The hole is about a golf ball size, and I can stick my finger all the way through. He also flushed it, but that didnt seem to help. Charity cant eat any hay, or grass, she has a horrible time trying to swallow it, and ends up spitting it out. It takes her about three hours to finish breakfast, and another three for dinner. We are waiting on the biopsy and hopefully it will be good. If you have any further information that would be great. Thank you so much

Lindsey
 
oh wow, that sounds much bigger than what my Star had going on here.

are there any kind of hay pellets that will get soft with water, that she can eat?
sorry, I know you and your vet have probably covered all of this. I will put this on the blog.
oh, I hope it is just a really bad injury and not cancer.
stay in touch.
Darci.

any questions or comments, please email Darci at doublehphorses@alliancecom.net