Thursday, September 3, 2009

vacation day 4 in Duluth


On Monday morning we walked over to Fitgers for breakfast. Then we walked all over the place, downtown, Canal Park, and shopped for Darci because she only owned 2 pair of pants that are not barn jeans or riding jeans. and that simply won't do for a non-horsey vacation along the water. And Darci also cannot wear shorts because, well, because she only wore shorts once all summer. (I had big plans to get my legs tanned this year but it just didn't happen). So, I bought 2 pairs of capris for sort of a compromise. And then we found a great shoe store in the mall (I think Miller Hill Mall) so I got 3 pairs of slip ons. one black, one gray and one brown/blue plaid. Fun shoes. I had only brought one pair of shoes along. old sandals with a back strap that cuts in to my heel, because that's about all I had except for cowboy boots and other barn shoes. We also went to the Marine Museum and Great Lakes Aquarium on this day, and spent quite a bit of time there. There was a demo with the otters. but my favorites of course were the sea horses. and the educational info. about them. and I also liked the eels that bury themselves in the sand except for their heads sticking out. I think those are eels. We had supper at Bellisio's Italian Restaurant. I learned what a flight of wine is but we ordered a bottle instead. I can't even remember what I ordered to eat but it was a lot. And then I had some wonderful chocolate dessert. Then we went over to Little Angie's Cantina because there was music going on. And I had a margarita there. It was still early, so we went to the big Grandma's sports bar type place to throw darts. Greg had to leave his drivers license at the bar though, and would not get it back until he turned the darts back in. They had been losing too many darts. those cheap little generic plastic darts. Greg said only because he was on vacation would he agree to do this. And then later, we wondered why we didn't just buy the darts rather than risk losing his drivers license. We got a little nervous when one of the darts ended up under the dart board and not even the maintenance guy could retrieve it! We wondered if we would be able to get Greg's license back since we had lost a dart. We did. I guess we had put in enough quarters to make up for the lost dart. I must not have taken any pictures on this day, except of the brown pigeon who shared breakfast with us. We stayed in Duluth again on this night. And the next day headed up the North Shore. and the pictures for the next day will be much more interesting, I promise!