Sunday, September 28, 2008

Hiroki (Hero) in Dodger Blue



This was my May 3, 2008 journal entry:

(of course now we know that the L.A. Dodgers have won their Division. And Hiroki Kuroda is scheduled to be their starting pitcher in Game 3!!!!!!!!!!!)



But I wrote this back in May: Thursday night during the storm I was out in the barn. I love being in the barn with the horses during storms. I decided to try on Hero's personalized halter again. It's still too big! The halter was given to Hero by Lori DeVries, who won our Name That Foal contest. She chose the name Hiroki, which means "abundant strength and joy" in Japanese. So that's why we call him Hero. Well, before the MLB season started this year, my brothers told me that the L.A. Dodgers have a new expensive pitcher from Japan. His name? Hiroki! Hiroki Kuroda. But really, we had our Hiroki before the Dodgers had theirs. Ha ha! I've been thinking a lot though about getting a picture of our Hero with a Dodgers cap on. So I tried that last night during the storm. It didn't go too well. He doesn't mind the cap at all. I just didn't get a good shot. He was pretty busy and it was supper time, so he didn't stand still very long for me.

I did get to watch Hiroki's (the Dodger) U.S. debut.

And Greg has since purchased the MLB package for me. So I have been watching the Dodgers play several times a week now. It brings back some fond memories. Like how my sister Mickie and I used to climb up to the top of the stadium and look down at the people coming in. We did something kind of naughty while we were up there, which will remain our secret. We lived in California when we were in grade school, and we often went to the Dodgers games.